A Perspective on “The Purpose of Mass Education”Posted: July 12, 2019
Ernie’s raw notes for ⰖTruth Bowl 2017-07-12-1500
The societal purpose of mass education is to Model and Promulgate a vision of how to align personal ambition with the good of society, ie gamifying communal status.
The big question is: what vision?
The small question is: does it work?
Anjali vs Rohan: “become happy and productive members of society”
Virtues: corruption -> redemption
- self-directed: absorbed-> giving
- inquiry: idleness -> creativity
- assessment: compliance -> profiency
- meritocracy: elitism -> inclusion
Plato’s philosopher kings (modesty) -> Servant Leadership (humility)
Founder-envy generates adventure versus political
- Self sacrifice irrational: police, teachers
- No institutions: Mozilla
- Stifle creativity: already perverse incentives
- Nobody will listen: that’s why we are here…