8 Design Principles for Self-GovernancePosted: November 2, 2016
From Elinor Ostrom via Evonomics.
Eight core design principles:
- Clearly defined boundaries
- Proportional equivalence between benefits and costs
- Collective choice arrangements
- Graduated sanctions
- Fast and fair conflict resolution
- Local autonomy
- Appropriate relations with other tiers of rule-making authority (polycentric governance).
This work was so groundbreaking that Ostrom was awarded the Nobel Prize in economics in 2009.